Discover Manuka Honey
Manuka honey is a type of honey that is native to New Zealand and is made by bees that feed on the nectar of the Manuka tree. It is known for its unique taste and numerous health benefits. Here are some things you probably didn't know about Manuka honey:
1. Manuka honey has antibacterial properties that are up to 100 times more potent than regular honey. This is due to the presence of a compound called methylglyoxal (MGO), which is found in high concentrations in Manuka honey.
2. Manuka honey has been used for centuries by the indigenous people of New Zealand for its medicinal properties. It was traditionally used to treat wounds, infections, and digestive issues. It is also a great natural skincare product.
3. There are several rating system used to measure the antibacterial potency of Manuka honey. MGO, NPA & UMF The higher these rating, the more potent the honey is in terms of its antibacterial properties.
4. Manuka honey has been found to be effective in treating a range of health issues, including sore throats, acne, eczema, and even MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections.
5. Manuka honey is also rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body against free radical damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
6. Manuka honey can be used as a natural sweetener in place of sugar. It has a lower glycemic index than sugar, which means it won't cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
7. Manuka honey is not suitable for infants under 12 months of age, as it may contain bacteria that can cause infant botulism.
Manuka honey is a superfood that offers a range of health benefits. Whether you use it as a natural sweetener or to treat a specific health issue, it's definitely worth adding to your diet.